Partners for Life
Halifax, NS, Canada
|The contents of this website are copyright 2000 to present by Brenda Potter -- All rights reserved. No portion of this website may be reproduced without permission. All drawings are copyright 2000 to present by S. Jamieson -- All rights reserved. Drawings may not be reproduced without permission.
Page last updated: Dec. 7th 2012
|Home / Chimini / Dogs / Litters / News/Blog / Photos & Videos / Breed & Dog Info / Dog Training Classes / Rescue|
|Partners For Life Canine Education
All Breed Dog Training for your Family Companion
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Partners I: is a basic manners course which is the foundation of a strong working partnership between your dog and yourself. The 6 week course covers the sit, down, walking politely by your side, name recognition, coming when called, not jumping up, stay by your side and learning self-control. We will focus on building value in yourself so that your dog will want to pay better attention to you. If you have a puppy, new dog and / or are new to training yourself than this is the calss for you.
Other Classes: When there is enough interest I also teach a Partner II level class, Rally-O Obedience, Canine Good Neighbour Pre-Course and occasionally a Free Style Dancing with your dog course.
Recreation Centre, 14 Purcell's Cove Rd., (near Armdale Rotary), Halifax, NS
Thursday nights; 6:15-7:15 and 7:30-8:30. 1 hour per week, 6 weeks duration.
Call (443-8114) or email (Partnersforlifecanineed@gmail.com) for date / time of next class.
Three to six dogs per class. Allowing for your dog to get use to working around other dogs, but also ensuring you and your dog get lots of individual attention. All members of the family are encouraged to attend so you can all learn first hand rather then one person trying to take the information back to the rest of the family.
- I have owned and trained Siberian Huskies since 1977 with my dogs obtaining titles in regular obedience, Rally obedience and agility. Several of my dogs have been Saint John Ambulance Therapy dogs.
- I've been teaching all breed training classes since 1998.
- I have attended many dog training seminars over the years and taken several on-line courses.
- I have a BA with Honours and a BEd. so my background is education and I have over thirty years of public service experience so I enjoy working with the owners, as well as their dogs.
The focus of the training is on rewarding desired behaviours. Dogs are trained on their regular buckle or snap collar using a "clicker" (supplied by trainer) and food. The clicker is used to quickly and effectively mark the exact behaviour that you like and is followed by a treat. Clicker training is a gentle method of training that encourages your dog to solve problems and become a willing partner in the training process.
Equipement Required for Classes:
- Regular buckle or snap collar, "Martingale" collar or Harness may be used in the classes. If using a harness, one with a front clasp (under the chin) is prefered to a back clasp. This will give you better control of your dog, particularly if a larger breed. Gentle leaders, Halti type devices are also exceptable. NO choke, prong or electric shock collars!
- 4-6 foot leash. Ideally one that is not too heavy and / or wide as this is more difficult to hold while training. Flexi (retractalbe) type leashes are also not recommended for classes.
- Treats. Small pea size treats. While at home you may be able to use a portion of your dogs kibble for training, at classes you will likely require a higher value treat. I recommend a "variety pack" of higher and lower value treats. What you use will depend on how distractable your dogs is. Quality commercial products such as "Mini Zukes" can be use but real food - ie chicken, hamburger, gotdogs, cheese, peanut butter and in some cases steak cut up in tiny pieces are likely your best bet for the hour long training classes with other dogs.
- Toys. If your dog has a favourite toy that may be used as an alternative to treats with some of the training.
-Treat Contrainer. If you want to get fancy a treat pouch but ziplock baggies or tupperware contrainer can also be use.
-Clicker. This is supplied by the trainer.
$150.00 per dog per 6 week course. A $50 deposit is required to confirm spot in a class. This is non-refundable unless the course is cancelled.
Brenda Potter, (902) 443-8114 or email me at Partnersforlifecanineed@gmail.com.
PLEASE NOTE: I take all breeds of dogs into my class, however these are family companion courses so they are not classes for dogs with serious aggression or reactive problems. Any dog that I feel could be a danger to people or other dogs in the class will be asked to leave and there will be no refund.